Hingham High School Band Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concert Band year reflection

Go down

Concert Band year reflection Empty Concert Band year reflection

Post  bsullivan Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 pm

This year, I hope to become a more confident trumpet player and instead of playing under people like Thomas Staley and Sam Rodiger, be able to play first trumpet music without relying on higher chairs. Also, sightreading skills as well as counting could be improved on so I can be able to play a piece of music without having to hear it correctly first and then practicing it myself a few times. Also, I would like to begin to focus less on basic things like fingering and counting and focus more on dynamics and articulations that will make the band sound more advanced. I think a good idea for our band would to have us break off into our sections once and a while and focus on specific sections on our own that we are struggling with. By June, I hope our band and the people that attend our concerts don't see us as "B" band, and instead as another great band about equal to wind ensemble.

Many of the goals I mentioned above I am happy to say I achieved. Over the course of this year, I have become a much more independent trumpet player and am less reliant on upper chairs. Sight reading as well has been an area I think I have improved in a lot since September. Although I would like to continue to focus more on dynamics rather than tone and fingerings, much less time is spent on deciphering the music and more time is spent on perfecting it. Overall, I believe that the Concert Band has made huge steps toward being on the same musical level as Wind Ensemble is. 2011-2012 has been a very productive year for band.

bsullivan

Back to top Go down