Hingham High School Band Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reflection from term 1

Go down

reflection from term 1 Empty reflection from term 1

Post  mgates Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:01 pm

"I hope to accomplish a lot in band this year. By the end of the year, I would like to have mastered the little things, like dynamics, articulations, etc. I think dynamics and articulations are extremely important, because without them, many songs would sound completely different if you had not of done them. I think that as a band we can work on the little things too, and I think it will make a huge difference in the way we sound if we get those down. I also want to get better at tuning. It is easy to tell when two people are out of tune, but it's sometimes difficult to tell whether you are out of tune or the person next to you is. Another personal goal of mine is to try and make senior semsba, and just by trying out it will force me to learn new scales, which is one of my other goals. I don't think these goals are going to be easy for me or the band, but with a lot of practice, anything can be done."

Now that this year is coming to a close, I realize that I have accomplished most of what I had hoped to musically over the past year. Before this year, I just played music with no intention of actually following the little things, such as dynamics, articulations, etc. I just thought that playing the correct note for the correct amount of time would be enough. Although that is important, dynamics and articulations are just as important. I also think that as a band, we have worked real hard to master dynamics, however not so much articulation. I think that if, as a band, we worked more on articulating notes, and then we would be much better off. Another goal of mine was to try and make senior semsba. Unfortunately, I didn't even try out for semsba, but I will next year. I also think that more people, especially concert band, should try out for those music festivals. I understand that's hypocritical, since I didn't try out for anything, but only a very few people tried out for semsba and districts. I think that if more people try out, they will discover the real talent that they have as a musician. Overall, I thought the band and I drastically improved, and hopefully next year will be the same.

mgates

Back to top Go down