Hingham High School Band Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time flies!

Go down

Time flies! Empty Time flies!

Post  janefreda Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:09 pm

This year in band, I’m hoping to improve in many aspects as a musician. I hope to be better counting rhythms and doing ear training. I sometimes struggle to tap my foot and count rhythms at the same time. Also, when we do ear training, I know what the note sounds like, but I can’t match it to a pitch. With more practice, I think I can accomplish this goal. Also, I would really like to improve on intonation. I have always struggled with this, and since now I’m playing notes higher than I’m used to, it’s even more challenging. I hope to accomplish this by practicing a lot at home and using a tuner when I do so. Also, I hope to become a better player and contribute well to the band. In June, this year in band will have been a success for me if I improve on intonation, counting and just knowing my instrument better and being able to play the pieces to the best of my ability.

I think I somewhat met my expectations of the year. I feel as if I did improve with intonation; I can now hear the discrepancy when someone is out of tune. Although I know how to bend the pitch when I'm playing a note to match other people, I can't really tell if I'm sharp or flat, so that can be something else to improve on. I still struggle a bit with tapping my foot and counting rhythms at the same time so I should work on that. I do feel like I'm a much better player than I was in Term 1. In September, I wouldn't have even dreamed about even coming close to playing a piece like "Arabesque" or "American in Paris". I definitely improved a lot with playing difficult pieces, but there is always room for more improvement!

Have a good summer Mr. C!

janefreda

Back to top Go down