Hingham High School Band Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Band Reflection

Go down

Last Band Reflection Empty Last Band Reflection

Post  wharlow9 Mon May 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Choose either this reflection topic or #6a. It's report card time. Considering all that's taken place since September, rate our performance as an ensemble this year. What has caused us difficulty? In what ways have we shown progress? Give us a letter grade and justify your decision, keeping in mind that an A+ would be the "ideal high school band", but not the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Be thoughtful and objective.

It is not hard to say that we have grown exponentially as an ensemble this year. As we embarked upon our fall concert, my spirits were high. I remember someone introducing this insane, upbeat, and percussive piece last year. At the time, I saw the piece that I would later know as "Arabesque" as an impossibility. There was no chance I would ever be able to play this piece. The eighth note runs and various sharps and flats did not help my nerves either. In the beginning, I believe that we were playing at a B- level. After conquering "Arabesque" and frightening a few fifth graders in the process, everyone knew what we were capable of, and this only made "An American in Paris" more demoralizing. I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to count the offbeats or play as high as I needed to. After some time and much effort, I could make out most of the piece (sometimes covered up by John or Josh), but, by the end of our time with the piece, it had really come together nicely. After hearing the piece in concert, I truly felt that we had become an A+ ensemble. Not only were we better technically, we had really come together as a group and family.
I truly apologize for the tardiness of this post. I am also sorry for having not taken our duets more seriously and meant no disrespect by it.

wharlow9

Back to top Go down