Hingham High School Band Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Musical Heroes

Go down

My Musical Heroes Empty My Musical Heroes

Post  n.sneath.saxtothemax Mon May 14, 2012 12:29 pm

My musical heroes come from the folk/bluegrass background. I feel like this genre is the root of American music and the style itself inspires me to work on my musicianship. Specifically, The Avett Brothers are my musical idols. They are the reason that I learned guitar, the reason that I still play piano, and why I write my own music. Every day I listen to their music and I feel as though their music is a huge part of my life.

The music the Avett Brothers write instantly connects with me. Before I listened to their music I was not a fan of bluegrass, folk, or country music. However, the emotion, passion, and beauty that is reflected in their music really inspires me. Because of their album 'I and Love and You', I taught myself the guitar and also learned all of their songs on piano. The music they play is so astounding to me that I have to play it myself.

The emotion that they put into the melodies and lyrics is mildly perplexing. The words, melodies, and chord progressions are very simple yet are unique and come together to reflect a complex feeling or emotion. When I (try to) write music it is very difficult because I listen to their sound and immediately copy it. Every song I've ever written can be traced back to a specific song by the Avett Brothers, yet the two songs may not sound the same. Without them I wouldn't be writing music.

The Avett Brothers are awesome. Check them out and you will be inspired too. I promise. You don't have to like folk, bluegrass, country, or rock. There is something in their sound that can connect to us all.

n.sneath.saxtothemax

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum