Hingham High School Band Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Locomotive Chase

Go down

The Great Locomotive Chase Empty The Great Locomotive Chase

Post  Andrew Keith Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:51 pm

The story that "TGLC" narrates is as unique as it is exciting. I think that the best way to tell this story is through music, not words or film. For one, music can really bring out the intense side of a story. The way the volume rises and falls, the tempo, the notes played, they all combine to create a great way to tell a story. The composer of the piece really knew what he was doing when he wrote this piece. The percussion provides the base, like the chugging of a train. The snare drum really sounds like a train, and the chime bell thingy is the bell. Who would've known that a percussion section could make such a good train impression? Also, the flutes make a good whistle. The rest of the band then builds on the base, telling the story with notes and harmony. These combined create a great piece that really describes the story. If I was writing it, I would've made it go at a slower tempo. Trains back then didn't go that fast, and the tempo of "TGLC" sound like it's going 103 miles per hour. I would've also made it have a heavier more intense sound, with lots of minor notes. This would cut down on the excitement, but I think that it would tell the story better.

Andrew Keith

Back to top Go down