Hingham High School Band Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONCERT REVIEW

Go down

CONCERT REVIEW Empty CONCERT REVIEW

Post  samjquillen Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:50 pm

I went skiing at a mountain over christmas. My friend was there, too, and one night a guy got mad at us because we were playing with a tennis ball in the hallways, so we ran outside. There was a band playing music near our hotel, so we listened to them while playing with the tennis ball. There were three guys in the band. There was a guy who played guitar and sang sometimes, a guy with a what I think was a bass, and a drum guy. We listened to around ten pieces before I accidentally threw the tennis ball into a river and we went back inside. I could still hear them on the porch of my hotel room, but then I went to my friend's hotel so I could not hear them any more. The singer didn't sing very much, and he played his guitar pretty slowly most of the time. There was one piece that would start quiet, then get really loud, then chill out again. I liked the bass because it would play a low, constant rhythm throughout the song that was usually pretty cool. The drummer was pretty animated, but not too loud, surprisingly. The bass guy was wearing a top hat. At one point, a guy with a trumpet came out and started playing music that sounded like jazz, so that was pretty cool. He was only in one song, though. Most of that song was just him, but the bass would jump in occasionally. Other than that one piece with the sudden changes, it was pretty relaxed music. I kind of chilled out while listening to it because it was low and pretty slow music. Except I really didn't like when it would suddenly speed up. That made me kind of angry after the third or fourth time, and I considered throwing my tennis ball at the guitar guy. The sudden tempo changes made it kind of stressful to listen to. I was relieved when it was over. The drum solos were pretty exciting. I could not believe how fast the drummer could play. I really liked the trumpet soloist. He was wearing a Grinch mask with a hole cut in the mouth so he could play. The music he played had a lot of swing like jazz, and the bass would occasionally cut in with a slow, catchy tune. It sounded like jazz, so I'm pretty sure it was jazz. I kept hoping that they would bring out a bass clarinetist, because that would have added to the music, but they did not. I do not know what the band was called, but I would recommend attending one of their concerts, because they played interesting music. I know they were playing to repair a chair lift or something, so I donated seventy-four cents, which was all of my money, and also a cool paper clip with green stripes. I would caution audience members to hide when they start playing the song with the sudden changes in tempo. When the drummer starts doing a solo, watch, because he goes absolutely crazy and his hair flies everywhere and he has a funny moustache. Their name may have had something to do with moustaches, because the bass guy had a caterpillar moustache, the drummer had a samurai moustache, and the singer/guitarist had a sort of Colonel Sanders thing going on. I bet the trumpet guy had a moustache, but i couldn't see because of the mask. Finally, I would like to warn you not to throw your tennis ball into the river, because then you will have to steal a new one from your friend's brother.

samjquillen

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum